Diabetes is always with me. Some days are good, some are less so.

Diabetes is always with me. Some days are good, some less so. Here's what's been going on in my world.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

In an ongoing effort to lower the old carb intake, we tried spaghetti squash the other night. I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting much.

I cut it half length-wise, sprayed it with olive oil, threw on some salt, pepper and mixed italian spices (basil and oregano, mostly) and shoved it onto a baking sheet at 350 for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, I cooked up some ground beef and added a jar of our fave pasta sauce, which simmered on the stove while the squash baked.
Pull it out of the oven, shred it up with a fork, put it on a plate and top with the meat sauce. It was good. A little crunchier than pasta, and sweeter. Carbs are lower, though, so even though it tasted sweet, it isn't really.

It was really good! I think I like it better than spaghetti. Why did they not tell me about this 25 years ago when I was diagnosed?? Here's your insulin, and oh by the way, here's your first spaghetti squash-on us. You'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment