Diabetes is always with me. Some days are good, some are less so.

Diabetes is always with me. Some days are good, some less so. Here's what's been going on in my world.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

And Just Like That...

Last post I was saying I wanted to run faster, and that my best time for running 5K was just under 45 minutes.

And just like that, today I did it in 37:50. And I wasn't even feeling 100%, I have a cold or something.

Let's not say it was easy, though. I pushed myself, hard. My heart rate was up to 177, then I would slow down a bit until I could breathe again. For the last 5 minutes of my running I could seeI might get it in under 40 minutes, so I kept going. At the end, I was wiped out and breathing hard, but it was AWESOME!

Let's talk about how that kind of run looks for me, as a type I diabetic.

I started out at 17 mmol/l (306mg/l). I know, too high technically to run-but I knew I was going to drop because my insulin was peaking.
After 20 minutes, I was at 10.6 (190). What's fun about testing while you're running is the heart pounding really lets your blood flow freely...all over your hand, and (I noticed when I was done) the walls....ewwwww.
By the end of the session, I was at 4.9 (88). I felt really lightheaded, and woozy, so I had 2 Dex4's and a glass of milk.

I think the only thing I would have changed about the whole thing, is I would rather have juice at the end of the run...the Dex4's were so hard to get down. I would love to find a gelpak that didn't have caffeine in it. I am supposed to limit my caffeine intake, and the one time I DID use a runner's gelpak, I felt awful afterward. They're loaded with caffeine to give people the boost they need while running. I don't want a boost, just carbs, you know?

I could get all caught up with wishing that I could just jump on the treadmill and run without worrying about all this...cause man, that would rock, but in the end I'm still doing it!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your comment on my pumping post. It is so nice to hear someone say something positive about NPH for a change. I don't think it's as awful as everyone makes it out to be and if you're diligent, you can have amazing control on it. That being said, it IS a pain in the butt. Literally, I guess, to my daughter.

    Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hello! I was actually born in Montreal (although raised in Vancouver).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey no problem. I posted on your blog...I was born in Montreal, too.
    Honestly, I didn't have huge probs with nph. When I think back, it feels like the good old days :) Now, lantus is a pain in my butt.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete