Diabetes is always with me. Some days are good, some are less so.

Diabetes is always with me. Some days are good, some less so. Here's what's been going on in my world.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

CGM-Too Many Bugs?

I have been having lots of highs in the morning, and my endo suggests it could be as a result of lows at night.
So I asked if that might make me a good candidate for CGM (continuous glucose monitoring). She made a bit of a face, and said the technology was still weak. (??)
Apparently, at a recent conference, some docs wore the CGM at night and were getting alarms, but they weren't even diabetic.
So they have doubts about the efficacy.
My questions are:
1. Did they then pull out a meter and check if the numbers the CGM was getting were right?
and
2. Doesn't every one's blood sugar fluctuate? Yes. Couldn't a non-diabetic's blood sugar be dropping during the night and causing the alarm to go off? I would think so.How could the monitor tell you weren't really diabetic? If your sugar is dropping and you're wearing a monitor, presumably you inject insulin and that kind of drop (which is natural in a non-diabetic) could be a threat (and usually is) to a diabetic person. Thus the alarm. Sure, if you aren't diabetic, any alarm at all would seem stupid.
But if you were dropping, on insulin, wouldn't you like to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment