Diabetes is always with me. Some days are good, some are less so.

Diabetes is always with me. Some days are good, some less so. Here's what's been going on in my world.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas-abetes

This is the hardest time of the year as far as managing diabetes goes, in my books. Easter has chocolate, and Halloween has candy seemingly sprouting out of the walls. But Christmas, oh Christmas...
I can pretty much resist candy. It's the chips, cheesies, dips, nachos, potatoes, stuffing, etc, etc that get to me. There's non-stop food coming at me from all directions. And my willpower is not up to the task.
Which all boils down to my blood sugars being oh-so-high....so high. Often over 15 mmol/l, which is roughly (very roughly, I'm not checking the math!) 300mg/dl. Which feels like BLAH! My own fault, I know.
So what did I do?
I rescheduled my endo appointment next week until late February. I wasn't ready to face the A1c I knew was waiting for me if I had my blood drawn now. Cop out, I know. But I have a plan. I don't know about willpower, but I have a plan.
I took up running in June, and I still love it (which is saying something!!). So I plan to run. I plan to eat a little less. And I plan to test more reliably-when I am supposed to, rather than sporadically. My A1c was still 7.8 last time I went in, so my hope is my plan will get it down to 7 by the end of February. I don't know if it's realistic...I may have to shoot for May (which would be my next appointment) since February will still be carrying the Christmas numbers. If we're talking May, I expect it to be less than 7, because that's enough time to make a real change.
But I have a plan.
I'll keep you up to date :)

No comments:

Post a Comment