Diabetes is always with me. Some days are good, some are less so.

Diabetes is always with me. Some days are good, some less so. Here's what's been going on in my world.

Monday, April 13, 2009

Oranges

Insulin means injections. I have searched through my journals from the time of my diagnosis, and there isn't a lot there to document how I felt about it. Did I take it all in stride? Was I in denial? I remember just knowing it was what it was and not really shaking my fist at fate or anything like that.
I don't know how they teach you to inject yourself now, but in 1985, you were given an orange and a syringe and told to jab it in. Get used to the feeling of "throwing" the needle into the somewhat resistant flesh of the orange. I did fine with the orange, but when the time came to do it to myself, I couldn't "throw" it in. I still don't, and it has been 24 years. I poke gingerly, and if it hurts too much, I change sites. I have always preferred to slide the needle in slowly, which is maybe stupid...but what can I tell you.
At that time, I was taking 2 insulins: NPH and Toronto (regular to Americans). I was mixing them in one syringe, and had to learn to do that properly. If I recall correctly, I was taking 2 shots a day, morning and suppertime. But maybe not. It might have been just one. This meant that everything I was allowed to eat for the day was based on my morning shot, no changes allowed. Hungry, or not.
This is why I am thankful now to be taking 5-6 injections a day (I now take Lantus and Novorapid)...smaller and more frequent doses mean I can make changes throughout the day. If I am not hungry I don't really have to eat, and if I am starving, I can eat a little more-just bump up my dose.
Maybe some people are more terrified of their first injection. If so, please share your experience in the comments. The only time I ever felt afraid of injecting was the first time I injected in my stomach...for some reason that gave me the heebie-jeebies. Now it's my preferred spot. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment